Saturday, May 12, 2012

What Will You Do For Mom?

ShareFaith Happy Mother's DayA recent article was posted by LifeWay about Mother's Day. It reminded me of something my pastor said this past Sunday. He made the comment that on Mother's Day people who wouldn't otherwise come to church feel obligated to do so because it's for mom, but quite the opposite is true for Father's Day. You see more people skip church on Father's Day because dad would rather go play golf on his day. That thought struck me as sad, and disappointingly all too true. Where are the men of this generation who will stand up for Christ? Where are the men who...wait a second. "Traver, I thought you said this was about Mother's Day." Oh, right, right. Back on to our topic then.

So what will you do for mom this year? Lately, It's been kind of difficult for me to do something for my mom on Mother's Day considering I live 2,000 miles away and it's not going to get any easier when I move to Australia (10,000 miles away). But I always get something for her and she receives her gift when I come home for vacation three weeks later (at the end of the calendar school year). Of course, she also receives a phone call from me and delights in my recounting of the minute-by-minute happenings of my day.

As a pastor, Mother's Day is an excellent opportunity to share the Gospel. Now I know that's not always the trendy thing to do. After all, people expect a message about the virtuous woman or some great woman of the Bible and how she impacted the lives of the nation for God. I'm certainly not telling you to disappoint them, but making sure the Gospel is a key element of the sermon can be wonderfully beneficial. It does not have to be the whole sermon, but it also shouldn't be tacked on at the end. Though, I'm pretty sure I can say without doubt I know that you will NOT be preaching about Jezebel or Delilah this weekend.

The following image was posted by LifeWay in the article I mentioned earlier.

LifeWay Research Mother's Day Attendance
Certainly with such a high percentage, it should not be missed as an opportunity for evangelism.

What are you doing for your mom this year? Have you thought about it? Have you stopped to just think about all she has done for you over the years? Are you going to be part of the statistic who will just go to church to please mom, or is it your heart's desire to worship God? I hope you are planning to do more for her than just attend church. Tell her thank you in a big way.

Tell us what you have planned for Mother's Day or what memories of mom you have that best show her love for you. Just click the comment bubble below.

2 comments:

Steven Maldoff said...

Nice read, Traver.

Traver Freeman said...

Thank you for the encouragement Steven.

Post a Comment



 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Best Web Hosting Coupons