Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Jude 22: The Wrong Approach?

For years I've seen churches and youth groups sporting the theme "Making a Difference" from Jude 22. "Get out there, witness, and make a difference in someone's life." "Jesus is the key, only He can make a difference in the world." It sounds like a great motto, doesn't it?

This is such a prominent theme that just about everyone has probably heard of it. I've seen churches theme their entire year off of it. Youth Groups have made it their motto and focus. Books have been written on it. I've seen flyers, posters, and even T-shirts, sporting this theme. They often feature the whole phrase or just "M.A.D." saying "Let's go M.A.D.!"

If you or your church cling to that motto, I've got bad news for you. It doesn't mean what you think it does.

How did this topic come up? If you read my post about being really busy, then you know I'm in a summer class right now. That summer class is on the epistle of James. Right about now, you're thinking: "What does James have to do with Jude?" Well, a few years ago I had a Greek class in James. I chose to write my Greek paper on James 1:5-8. I was reminded of that paper today in class.

I don't usually bring Greek into a Bible lesson openly. It's just not necessary for understanding Scripture. However, sometimes it is helpful, and I think this is one of those areas. In my paper on James 1:5-8, I came across a word that I just had to research. The English word in verse 6 is "wavereth." When I study a Greek word, I look up every other appearance of that word in the New Testament, and I see how it is translated. Wouldn't you know it, one of those uses is the phrase "making a difference" in Jude 22.

So what does the word mean? The Greek word is diakrino. The root of the word means "to judge." With its prefix attached, it means "to distinguish, to determine, or to differentiate." When James uses the word, it refers to someone who can't make up his mind and wavers back and forth, not determining to believe God completely. The word does NOT mean "change." It doesn't mean "change someone's life."

Taking Jude 22 in context, let me tell you what the passage means. False teachers have arisen, mockers and scoffers have appeared on the scene (v.4, 16-17). Jude says that they are sensual and walk in their own lusts (v.18, 19). Then he reminds the believers that they have faith, love, and the mercy of God (v.20-21).

Therefore, he says, have mercy on some of these false teachers and wayward people. Make a differentiation, or judgment, between those who purposely would mislead you and those who have accidentally been duped. Some of those people are probably teaching things falsely because they've been taught falsely and they don't know any better. With those people, have compassion and correct them.

One of the biggest reasons this verse is misunderstood is actually not a Greek issue. This verse is taken out of context. The whole book is about false teachers who have crept in and are misleading the people of the church. It has nothing to do with soul winning and making a difference in people's lives. Romans would be a better place for something like that. "How shall they hear without a preacher?" (By the way, that simply means someone to tell them, anyone can be a "preacher" of the gospel).

You don't need Greek to figure that out if you keep the verse in context, but the Greek is what helped me figure it out because I realized that phrase doesn't mean what everyone thinks it means.


The Bottom Line
What's the bottom line? We need to stop twisting this verse and using it out of context. We should stop making T-Shirts, videos, posters, and flyers with this phrase on it. We need to stop making this our church theme for the year. It ought be our goal to rightly divide the Word of Truth and do honor by God and His Word. We can still use the theme, just not in relation with this verse.

As a final word, let me say that I am in no way bashing the people that use this phrase. In fact, some churches and pastors close to me have used this phrase. It is that very thing that gave me the burden to help you understand the meaning that God intended.

Will you help me in getting this message out there? Share this on Facebook and Twitter and with everyone you know. I want people to know what is the RIGHT way to understand this passage. If you are a Greek student, I encourage you to do the study yourself.

Think I'm wrong? I've been wrong before. Tell me about it in the box below. Give me stronger evidence to support the reason why the general interpretation is right.

Do you have any additional thoughts or comments? I'd love to hear about them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Though I agree with your point of not taking Jude 22 out of context by quoting and referencing it as the biblical mandate for a “make a difference” campaign, the idea is not unbiblical. Just off the top of my head I can think of examples that support this idea in both Old and New Testament. In Esther when Mordecai gave Esther the challenge to step up and “make a difference” in Esther 4:14, when he said, “and who knoweth whether thou art come to the kingdom for such a time as this?” And in turn God used Esther and Mordecai to “make a difference” and save the neck of a lot of Jews. The book of Acts has this theme throughout and in particular in 17:6 that reads “And when they found them not, they drew Jason and certain brethren unto the rulers of the city, crying, these that have turned the world upside down are come hither also”. Note: I am not defending taking scripture out of context but I am defending what I believe to be a biblical theme.

T.L. Branson said...

Dennis,

I certainly agree with you. The goal of my post was not to say the phrase "Making a Difference" is an unBiblical principle. Certainly we ought strive to make a difference in people's lives through the Gospel and serving the Lord.

My focus was on the fact that every single group that uses this phrase cites Jude 22 as their main Scriptural reference for support because the phrase appears there. No where else in Scripture does that exact phrase appear.

I am merely saying that verse does not say what people think it says. It is not the words I am speaking against, but the usage of the verse out of context, like you mentioned.

Post a Comment



 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Best Web Hosting Coupons